Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://www.arca.fiocruz.br/handle/icict/30438
Title: The human superior tarsal muscle (Müller's muscle): a morphological classification with surgical correlations
Authors: Antonio, Vanderson Esperidião
Silva, Fátima Conceição
Pires, Bernardo de Ary
Pires Neto, Mário Ary
Pires, Ricardo de Ary
Affilliation: Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro. Centro de Ciências da Saúde. Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas. Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil / UNIFESO. Faculdade de Medicina. Teresópolis, RJ, Brasil.
Fundação Oswaldo Cruz. Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil.
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro. Centro de Ciências da Saúde. Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas. Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil.
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro. Centro de Ciências da Saúde. Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas. Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil.
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro. Centro de Ciências da Saúde. Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas. Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil.
Abstract: The superior tarsal muscle (STM) is a smooth muscle that originates from the undersurface of the levator palpebrae superioris muscle (LPSM) and inserts onto the superior tarsal plate (STP) of the upper eyelid. We have performed a morphometrical investigation of the STM in 49 adult human cadavers (34 males, 15 females). Histological analysis has shown a transitional area between the skeletal striated muscle (LPSM) and the adjacent smooth muscle (STM). We propose an original morphological classification based upon the attachment of STM to the upper border of the STP. Accordingly, we describe four patterns of STM. Pattern 1 (P1) consists of STM attachment to the central portion of the STP. Pattern 2 consists of both medial (P2M) STM attachment to both the central and medial regions of the STP and lateral (P2L) STM attachment to both the central and lateral regions of the STP. Pattern 3 (P3) consists of STM attachment along the whole extent of the STP. Pattern 3 was the most frequently observed pattern (63.27%) followed by patterns P2M (24.49%), P2L (8.16%) and P1 (4.08%). P3 was the predominant pattern in males (73.52%), while in females, both patterns P2M (46.66%) and P3 (40.00%) were equally prevalent. The analysis of paired specimens revealed a symmetrical arrangement in 72.20% of all cases, with the remaining cases (27.80%) displaying left-right STM asymmetries. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first description of the STM asymmetries in the medical literature. This innovative classification provides anatomical parameters for interpreting morphological variations of the STM with relevant applications in both plastic surgery and ophthalmology.
Keywords: Blepharoplasty
Blepharoptosis
Morphometry
Müller´s muscle
Superior tarsal muscle
keywords: Músculo tarsal superior
Morfometria
Músculo de Müller
DeCS: Blefaroplastia
Blefaroptose
Issue Date: 2010
Publisher: Wiley
Citation: ANTONIO, Vanderson Esperidião; et al. The human superior tarsal muscle (Mu ¨ller’s muscle): a morphological classification with surgical correlations. Anat Sci Int., v. 85, p.1–7, 2010.
DOI: 10.1007/s12565-009-0043-0
ISSN: 1447-6959
Copyright: restricted access
Appears in Collections:IOC - Artigos de Periódicos

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
fatimac_silva_etal_IOC_2010.pdf323.66 kBAdobe PDF    Request a copy


FacebookTwitterDeliciousLinkedInGoogle BookmarksBibTex Format mendeley Endnote DiggMySpace

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.